A suspect was been arrested in connection with an attack on Jewish men earlier this week, the Los Angeles Police Department said Saturday.
The suspect was arrested on Friday night with the help of a U.S. Marshals Service task force, according to the police, The Associated Press reported.
The man, who was not named in the statement, was arrested for suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon after a group of Jewish men were attacked while eating outside by multiple individuals who were carrying pro-Palestinian flags.
The male is one of the primary suspects in the assault and beating of several men who were outside of a restaurant in the evening hours in the Mid-City area of Los Angeles on Tuesday May 18, 2021, the police said.
The group threw bottles at the Jewish men and yelled slurs at them. Witnesses say the group was chanting death to Jews and free Palestine during the attack, AP noted.
An increase in bail for the suspect has been requested due to the crime being motivated by hatred, according to police.
There has been an increase in antisemitism and attacks on Jewish people around the world due to the conflict between Israel and Hamas.
On Thursday, Hamas and Israel called a cease-fire, ending almost two weeks of rocket fire and airstrikes that have killed hundreds of Palestinians and about a dozen Israelis.
The cease-fire was applauded by the Biden administration, and Secretary of State Antony BlinkenAntony BlinkenWhich lesson will Biden teach MBS?Blinken confirms US no longer seeking to purchase Greenland Taiwan presses US on COVID-19 vaccinesMORE will make a trip to the area to continue talks amid the recovery.